I'm a firm believer that food is medicine. But medicine doesn't always have to taste bad. One bright and colorful food commonly used in many delicious Mediterranean dishes adds loads of flavor and has a plethora of health benefits associated with it.
It's called turmeric! Studies have shown turmeric has potent anti-inflammatory properties that can help relieve swelling and pain and may reduce your risk of developing chronic diseases such as cancer, diabetes, and cardiovascular disease. Now that's good medicine.
Today we're using turmeric to make my amazing anti-inflammatory recipe for Spiced Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding. While it takes a bit of fridge time to make this treat, I can assure you it's well worth the wait!
The recipe calls for maple syrup, but you can substitute with raw honey or 1-2 teaspoons of stevia to taste. You can also mix it up and replace the dried fruit with nuts or shredded coconut. Feel free to substitute the oat milk for 2 cans of full-fat coconut milk or another dairy if you prefer. Yogurt works well here too!
It will keep well in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 3 days. This pudding is great to make the night before stored in small mason jars and ready to serve the following day.
Spiced Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
Prep Time: 3 Minutes
Cook Time: 5 hours
· 2 cups oat milk, preferably “barista” style or creamer (it’s thicker)
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
· 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
· 1/2 cup cacao powder or unsweetened cocoa powder
· 2/3 cup chia seeds
· 1 tsp cinnamon
· 2 tsp turmeric
· 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
· 1/4 cup chopped fruit, optional
1. Place ingredients except for the fruit in a high-powered blender and blend until smooth. Or place in a canning jar with a tight lid and shake to mix.
2. Cover and chill in the fridge for at least 3-5 hours to thicken. Depending on the milk and how thick you prefer your pudding, less or more time may be needed.
3. Spoon into dessert cups or small mason jars, top with chopped fruit, and enjoy!
What’s your favorite type of pudding? Do you add toppings to yours? Comment below!
For more recipes and anti-inflammatory healthy living tips, tricks, and wellness advice subscribe to my newsletter!